share this on

Saturday, September 21, 2024

God Speaks Through The Voiceless

We live in a world filled with many different sounds which are critical to our everyday lives. Communication is an important part of our lives. Most of us communicate verbally, and we convey the message via speaking. Hearing a voice can tell a lot about the message. We often take that communication process for granted. 
 God can speak through the voiceless. After I started working with deaf people, my view on communication has drastically changed. My deaf coworker became the most tremendous encouragement at work. On the first day we worked together, we communicated through an interpreter. We learned that we have many things in common, including our faith. She encouraged us much at the workplace. She became an integral part of our workplace. During our work, we encouraged one another throughout the day. We prayed and shared Bible verses. I told her about the hymns on my playlist. My coworker told me she doesn’t have a favorite hymn but loves reading the Bible. She shared a few favorite Bible verses with me. I shared the hymn's lyrics with her. Moreover, she encouraged me during some of the most challenging times in my life. This woman is one of the most encouraging people I have ever met. I started learning sign language the first day we worked together.
 A few weeks later, I asked her, “Do you ever feel angry about not being able to hear the sounds?” She smiled and replied: “I still do sometimes. However, technology has made it easier for people like me. I use typing on my phone to communicate with people whenever I go out. Many times, I don’t need an interpreter. Even at work, communicating via technology is enough. Every day, I remind myself that this life is temporary. ” She paused momentarily before continuing, “Being deaf doesn’t stop me from hearing the voice of God. Someday, I will have a new body and hear the sounds around me.” My deaf coworker taught me many important things. She taught me how to listen genuinely. 

 Deaf people communicate precisely, rapidly, and respectfully. They stay focused on a conversation. Deaf people don’t interrupt. They ask if they don’t understand something. They know how to be present. These people easily express their emotions. They are straightforward and down to the point. Because of their communication, Deaf people can avoid much of misunderstandings. Moreover, Deaf people are great listeners. They don’t waste their words. If we followed their principles, our communication would have much less misunderstanding. They are open to learning new ideas. James gives excellent communication advice. 
These words apply to all areas of our lives: “My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry.” James 1:19 NIV My coworker has beautiful laughter. She reminded me that our life here is short compared to eternity. Someday, she will be fully healed. This lady attends a Bible Study for deaf people. However, she doesn’t attend church because it’s hard for deaf people to find a church, even in a large city. 
During our lunch, I told her, “You have been such an amazing blessing to all of us. If more people knew at least basic sign language, they wouldn’t miss out on getting to know Deaf people. Moreover, Deaf people would become less isolated.” My coworker signed: “I agree.” She paused and started typing on her phone: “There are a few Christians among the Deaf. There is not enough outreach!” Because of her, I learned about one of the least-reached groups – deaf people. 
These people are too often isolated, abandoned, and neglected. They live all over the world. Between 200 and 300 million of the world’s population comprises Deaf people. Approximately 2% of them are Christians. Therefore, they are among the largest unreached people groups in the world. We have a mission field near us.

No comments:

Post a Comment